I just want to reach out to you
To connect
I'm fed up of being on the other side of the street
I wanna be the same as you
Your friend
Enjoy the things you enjoy
Do the things you do
Have the same mind
The same attitude
Share a good time together
But I haven't experienced what you have
Mum and Dad not at home
Arguing, violent when they are
Bad crowd, breaking things, stealing
Don't care if you're caught
Crammed in together
Council estate
Unwashed, uncared for
Broken, dirty toys
No love
I want to reach out to you
But I'm afraid that you resent me
Might hurt me.
Good boy
Clean hair
Tidy manners, polite
Well spoken, well read, well looked after
Interested family, Inheritance, education
Gentle hands
So what have we got in common?
Don't want to dig up the dirt
Drain the dregs
I just want to reach out to you
For us to feel safe together
We both need a friend
Both you and me
And if it's not each other then who's it gonna be?
Who'll settle our differences, make us free?
If there was something I could give you
Something you'd really want and need
Not second hand wealth
Not just shared greed.
Do you know Jesus?
He loves and he cares
He don't put on airs
I'll share him with you
He's everyone's friend
there's nothing broken that he can't mend.
Joe Morriss
July 2005
No comments:
Post a Comment