Total Pageviews

Friday, 13 June 2014

Just 17




He's a chip off the old block
But he's not.
He's really gonna be somethin'
And nothin'.
He's laid back and doesn't care
He's got no place to go
But he's in a hurry to get there.
He's 17

Just 17
A world away from childhood
But still too tender for adult reality
Full of individual passion
But hopelessly stereotyped by fashion

"Future" is another 4 letter word
Spelled wrong
You can't eat it, smoke it or find it on Facebook
It doesn't belong
In a pub or a club
Or in the park with your mates
But maybe if you bought a drink for that gorgeous blonde?

17, and going strong
I need me Mum!
What went wrong?
Dumped, jumped, stumped
No money left
Just a hangover.

Me, a homeboy?
I'm nobody's boy!
Grown man or just a clown?
How do you get a job you've never done
Me Dad's not even got one
But I'm not me Dad...
Yet.

Give me a job someone
Trust me, it's just me
I'm only 17 and a bit of a one
You see I need cash and experience more
But I just aint done nothin' useful before.

She's just 17
But acts like she's still 13
Co that's the age she decided
That her life was her own
And decided to take it.

Oh sure, a lot of her friends would fake it
You see, the pills and whisky were risky
But there was no other way to make people listen

She was determined to have it
The baby I mean, no maybe about it.
But who's gonna love her, hold her, rock her?
Not the Father, Im afraid
He's in Jail cos he failed.

So get rid of it
That's the ultimatum
have the termination
Cold chair, no one knows she's there.
Just the nurses and the folks at home
With their righteous curses

She's just 17
For Christ's sake
We really need to care.


Joe Morriss
2008





No comments:

Post a Comment