A field before me
Bright and gold
A harvest of souls
Rolling pasture
Number untold
My heart yearns to reach out
Reap the trust of these ones
Lost and hurting
But where to begin?
Stop them in the street
Under duress
Hard pressed
To tell them of this love within?
And by the field
Are two trees
One is barren
The other has leaves
Mistakes of the past
Over which one grieves
The other's blossom is a promise
Of continuing life and fruit to come
This is faith
Which can be believed upon.
Back in the yield
Poppies adorn the field
Scarlet and bright
Scars from the fight
But blood is thicker than water
And here is a deeper red flower
It speaks of a death
Of love, of power
A love for the lost
Counting the cost
Reaching and restoring.
And so my harvest is not great
One man in a million
I try, I cry, but it's getting late
What can I do but gather?
Fill both my hands
Hold what I can
And keep holding...
Joe Morriss
August 2006
No comments:
Post a Comment