Total Pageviews

Sunday, 16 September 2018

Saying goodbye to autumn

Oh hello autumn
You took me by surprise
I mean completely
I was absorbed in sunlight hours
Then right before my eyes

The fading hedgerow
The trees I noticed briefly
Were beginning to rust
Why was it such a shock
To see your annual demise

Oh dear nature
Dont go
Don't grow old
You're crown is tarnished
I was engrossed with the gold

Fading sunlight
Slants toward evening
And the gnats buzz with less vigour
The surge of Summers health has all but vanished
And shadows cast a leaner figure

Drying and brittle foliage
And the silvering of age
I watch with sadness
And try , and try
To accept this stage

Oh autumn
Frail of hand and week of eye
I try to understand you
All I can do is cry
The brightest colours
Come at last
A final giving of your life filled heart.

Come then
Your here
I cannot deny
The sun sparkled so briefly
Beneath your youthful sky
But the signs are all there,
Oh dear autumn
I can't say goodbye.

Joe morriss
September 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment